University of Limpopo UL NSFAS Online Application 2021-2022
Are you a student hoping to study at University of Limpopo UL but lack the financial means to do so?, or you are a current student of UL seeking out financial aid to continue your studies?, then look no further. On this page is a highlight and overview of all the necessary steps and procedures required to successfully apply for your NSFAS Aid for the academic year.
Students are reminded to adhere to the NSFAS requirements and to also ensure that all details submitted during their application are correct and without errors. This is because misinformation and missing documents will greatly reduce ones chances of getting approved. Secondly, NSFAS will not be held liable for any errors you make, students are therefore encouraged to double check before submitting.
The National Student Financial Aid Scheme is a loan and bursary scheme operating in terms of Act 56 of 1999 and funded by the National Department of Education. NSFAS has been established to assist academically deserving and financially needy South African students to achieve their academic goals at tertiary institutions. It offers low interest rates and up to 40% of the value of the loan will be converted into a bursary should the student pass all courses registered in the year funding was obtained. Who qualifies?
- South African citizens
- A financially needy student
- A student who demonstrates potential for academic success
- A student registered at a South African university/technikon, studying for a first tertiary educational qualification
- A student studying for a second tertiary qualification if it will enable the student to practice in a chosen profession eg HDE
How much can a student get:
NSFAS determines the minimum and maximum award annually. Please enquire at the Financial Aid office for the current limits. A person will, however, be expected to make a contribution towards the total cost of your studies, i.e Expected Family Contribution (EFC).
The size of the award is determined by the family income, according to the NSFAS Means Test.
Where to apply:
Application forms are obtainable from the Financial Aid Office.
- Registered students: Mid October
- First year students: Mid March
Documents which should accompany the application forms:
- Certified copy of ID document /passport of student / mother / father /guardian / wife /husband
- Original / certified copy of pay- slips / pension slip for both parents/guardian /spouse (these should not be older than three (3) months)
- In the case of deceased parents, attach certified death Certificates
- If parents are divorced, attach a copy of the decree of divorce
- If parents / guardian / spouse are self-employed, attach a copy of the latest financial statement
- If parents are unemployed, attach sworn affidavits accompanied by a report from a social worker , religious leader /traditional leader or Council
- An amount for income must be provided on all affidavits
- If parents are separated, attach pay-slips of both and an official letter from the social worker or religious leader confirming the separation
- Certified copy of previous degree or diploma certificate
- If you are currently in in-service training, attach pay – slip or provide the University with proof from your employer stating whether your study leave is paid or unpaid
- ID copies / birth certificates or letters from school of other family members
- Proof of registration for sibling at other tertiary institutions
University of Limpopo NSFAS Contact Details
The Financial Aid Office
Tel: 015-268 2405
University of Limpopo NSFAS Application Closing Date
- Registered students: Mid October
- First year students: Mid March
Aside the availability of the University of Limpopo UL NSFAS Student Aid, the university has in stock other bursaries aimed at students who demonstrate the potential for academic success. These bursaries include undergraduate and postgraduate bursaries. Below are details on them. Students must keep in mind that these bursaries are not automatically awarded, students will have to apply for them.
UL University of Limpopo University academic awards
Academic Bursaries for first year students
These bursaries are awarded to full-time students who:
- Register to study at the University of Limpopo for a first degree for the first time after grade 12.
- Obtained an average of 70% or higher during the grade 12 final examination
The average is calculated by adding the percentages of (six best) of the final exam results and divide by (six).
- The student shall only receive full tuition fees
Performance bursaries for undergraduate senior students
These bursaries are awarded to full-time senior students who:
- Achieved an overall pass of 70-75% from the previous year /level of study on the first attempt, provided that the full curriculum was taken and passed. The student shall qualify to receive full upfront registration fees.
- Achieved an overall pass of 76% – 100% from the previous year/level of study on the first attempt, provided that the full curriculum was taken and passed. The student shall qualify to receive full tuition fees.
These bursaries do not apply to students who are in receipt of any other scholarship or bursary which covers the full amount that the student qualified for. If a student qualified for the full tuition fees and receives a bursary that does not cover the full cost of study, the tuition fee shall be limited to the difference between the full tuition payable and the bursary received by the student.
The bursaries are not automatic, students have to apply annually.
Below is an overview of the University of Limpopo UL Postgraduate Bursaries.
- First time entering Masters and Doctoral students are entitled to a tuition fee bursary of up to R10 000-00 for the duration of their study. NB. (Students will still be responsible to pay administration fees).
- First time entering Honours and B.Ed Honours students qualify as follows: they must have obtained 60% in the final year of their undergraduate study for the subject(s) or course(s) which they intend pursuing for their postgraduate degree.
NB: Tuition fee bursary of up to R10 000-00(tuition fee bursary is capped by the amount of tuition fee levied for the year) will only be awarded on completion of one’s study
- A Tuition bursary capped for the total amount of tuition levied in the academic year of registration for the stipulated period of study will be awarded. Other costs to the fee account will not be covered by the bursary.
- Eligible students who fail to successfully complete their studies within the stipulated time under normal circumstance do not qualify for University administered financial aid.
- Students who receive tuition fee support from their employers or from other source under normal circumstances do not qualify for University administered financial aid.
- Students who are registering for the qualification equivalent to the one already received do not qualify for tuition fee bursary.
- Students who have previously registered with another institution for the same qualification do not qualify
- The University reserves the right to withdraw the tuition bursary should the student fail to disclose that he/she has an equivalent degree from another institution.
- No retrospective application is allowed
The following documents should be attached to the application form:
- an acceptance letter from the School indicating the student number, degree and discipline
- copy of detailed transcript of academic records
- copy of degree Certificates
- copy of I.D (certified)
- should the student fail to disclose that he/she has another bursary, and such a bursary pays towards the tuition fees, the tuition bursary offered by the university will be withdrawn
Need study finance? Edu-loan offers finance to:
- Pay your study fees
- Settle your outstanding balance
- Purchase books and accessories
Edu-loan offers you the LOWEST interest rates, FIXED monthly payments and NO deposit
For more information visit www.eduloan.co.za
Please click here for bursary application forms.